Yellowish white paste
170 KG Drums, 20.06 MT
SLES (2EO) 70% is a preferred ingredient for its excellent solubility, wide compatibility, strong resistance to hard water, high biodegradability, and low irritation to skin and eyes. It can replace LAS in heavy-duty washing products, potentially reducing phosphate use and overall active ingredient dosage.
SLES is produced on the basis of lauryl alcohol (dodecanol), which in turn is obtained from vegetable lauric oils. Laurin oils can be extracted from palm kernel oils or coconut oil. Palm kernel oils account for about 80% of the fatty alcohols and surfactants produced from them, while the remaining 20% are attributed to coconut oil.The manufacturing process is as follows:
- Dodecanol is obtained by hydrogenating the fatty acids and fatty acid esters from palm kernel and coconut oil and then working up the reaction mixture.
- SLES is produced by reacting dodecanol with ethylene oxide. The number of oxyethylene units is usually about 2.
- Sulphur trioxide is then used for sulphation.
- A by-product of this process is 1,4-dioxane, which is harmful to health. The end product with two oxyethylene units, sodium 2-(2-dodecyloxyethoxy)ethyl sulphate, is considered irritating to the skin and eyes.
It finds widespread usage in applications like liquid dishwashing agents, mild detergents, shampoos, and other personal care items. Additionally, SLES is employed in manufacturing industrial cleaners, as well as in textile and leather processing, and agricultural chemicals.